After the excesses of Christmas most of us are overcome by a wave of over indulgence followed by a sudden need to sign up to the gym.
I have realised over the last year being fit and healthy isn’t about a sporadic diet of Kale and crackers (gross) or forcing myself to run for miles on a treadmill (even more gross), but finding something that makes keeping fit bearable.
Up until now netball has been a real game changer (excuse the pun) for me as I play 2 /3 times a week and even though I feel the burn I can push through it because I am VERY competitive and want to win. It has also inspired me to go to the gym, as I want to improve my fitness so that I am a better player.
I have got to a point now where I am doing plenty of cardio and not enough resistance training. I know that I could use the women’s weight room at the gym, but I don’t think I am alone in saying that I have no idea what to do in there especially with the free weights. I find it pretty intimidating walking in and looking useless in front of the women who look like they were drawn by an adolescent teenage boy who has watched way too many Baywatch episodes and Kim K sex tapes.
Back to the point…the Charlotte Crosby 3 minute Belly Blitz DVD. Say what you will, but despite the fact Charlotte is a reality TV star from Geordie Shore who openly wees herself and has sex on TV, this DVD is Awesome.
Apparently I am not the only one who thinks so; it is the fastest selling fitness DVD to date.
I think it is great for a few simple reasons (bullet points mean I am deadly serious):
- There are 12 sessions in total and they alternate between cardio and resistance workouts. This keeps your heart rate up and tones at the same time. It also allows you to mix and match the workouts depending on time and preference.
- There is a beginner’s option for every workout if you are struggling (Dave leads these. Note: Dave LOVES all the workouts, even the cool down!!!)
- Every session is 3 minutes long – which means you do not get bored, it is not repetitive and you push yourself harder.
- It includes a great diet plan with simple and extensive meal options.
- There is a 10 minute extra abs workout, which is great to do every day even if you do not do the whole DVD.
- You feel the results the next day. After two weeks I feel more toned and my upper body strength has definitely improved.
- Charlotte is always on hand to give you vital advice e.g. “Don’t forget to breathe” and my personal favourite “Try not to punch yourself in the face”.
Jokes aside, I am by no means a fitness guru, however here are a few pointers I will be following to make 2015 a year of change:
- Find a sport you enjoy
- Find a keepfit buddy (preferably someone with a similar outlook on exercise)
- Try to improve your everyday diet and treat yourself occasionally instead of yo yo dieting
- Be kind to yourself – be proud of your personal achievements and do not compare yourself to others (especially not those in the free weights room if you dare to go in in the first place)
I will leave you with this parting note: If you are feeling the burn “Sweat is just fat crying…”
You can buy the DVD here for £12.99 from Amazon.